Site news 20.05.2013
May 20, 2013, Rybinsk. - Conducting workmanship competitions between shop-floor workers, line production managers – foremen and production engineers has become a good tradition at NPO Saturn.
On May 17 on the premises of the NPO Saturn training center the final of the workmanship competition between the operators of numerically-controlled turning and milling machines took place.
Ten operators from the different production shops of the company were competing in their knowledge of theory and skill of operating turning and milling machines having already won the intra-shop contest in their respective production shops.
The participants of the competitions were:
1. Alexey Nerubenko, NC milling machines operator of the 4th grade representing shop 35;
2. Alexander Kurnin, NC milling machines operator of the 5th grade representing shop 57;
3. Georgiy Fedorov, NC milling machines operator of the 3rd grade representing shop 5;
4. Alexander Ershov, NC milling machines operator of the 5th grade representing shop 32.
5. Sergey Goryachilov, NC turning machines operator of the 3rd grade representing shop 5;
6. Vladimir Vasilyev, NC turning machines operator of the 4th grade representing shop 12;
7. Denis Baikov, NC turning machines operator of the 5th grade representing shop 29;
8. Evgeniy Belov, NC turning machines operator of the 5th grade representing shop 44;
9. Sergey Dmitriev, NC turning machines operator of the 4th grade representing shop 45;
10. Alexey Chuprikov, NC turning machines operator of the 3rd grade representing shop 57.
The theoretical part of the competition included a test on the basics of metal cutting, measuring instruments, parts and sub-assemblies quality assurance, fits and tolerances, labor safety, NC-machine maintenance and safe operation. The test consisted of the G and M functions knowledge, NC code reading and bench mark part measuring techniques using versatile measuring instruments.
Using the dedicated machining-training module of the corporate training center equipped with the most state-of-the-art metal-cutting equipment, the contestants competed in machining of parts in accordance with the received drawing and recommended production process. The competition jury was evaluating the practical task execution taking into account the benchmark part measuring technique, machined part quality, time spent on completing the task vs. the prescribed time limit and observance of the labor safety provisions and operator’s work organization.
Following the competition results, the winners of the NC milling machine completion were: Alexander Ershov (1st place), Alexey Nerubenko (2nd place). The best NC turning machine operators were: Denis Baikov (1st place), Alexey Chuprikov (2nd place) and Sergey Goryachilov (3rd place).
NPO Saturn human resources director Alexey Molchanyuk noted:
“A workmanship competition is an integral part of the global training and qualification upgrade program designed for shop-floor operators. NPO Saturn is a high-tech company. Under the conditions of fierce competition on the market, the requirements to those who operate modern, high-precision machine tools are very strict, and they are becoming even more so with every year. Operators of modern NC-machine tools have a highly-intellectual and complex occupation which is in very high demand at NPO Saturn. Such competition allows to identify the best of trade and gives a good push and incentive for further development”.
Research and production association Saturn OJSC is an engine-building company specialized in design and development, production and after-market support of gas turbine engines for military and civil aviation, Navy boats and power-generating plants and gas-pumping units. NPO Saturn is part of United Engine Corporation, a 100% purpose-built subsidiary of UIC OBORONPROM, in charge of managing the engine-building assets.
United Industrial Corporation OBORONPROM OJSC is a multi-field machine-building group created in 2002. It is part of SC Russian Technologies. Main fields of business: helicopter building (Russian Helicopters OJSC), engine building (MC UEC) and other assets.