Site news 31.10.2014
October 31, 2014, Rybinsk. - A field session of the committee on economic policy, investments, industry and entrepreneurship of the Yaroslavl Regional Duma of the 6th convocation took place on 30 October 2014 at NPO Saturn.
The main item on the agenda for the regional deputies was the development of a territorial innovative cluster “Gas turbine machinery and power engineering” whereby NPO Saturn acts as the coordinator.
According to NPO Saturn CEO Ilya Fedorov, “the territorial innovative cluster “Gas turbine machinery and power engineering” which was established conjointly with the government of the Yaroslavl Region and other major regional companies allows to conduct a policy aimed at the development of small-to-medium businesses and facilitates their entry into the supply chain of world-class products.
That attracts partners operating in the same industry. The world’s leading gas turbine engine manufacturers such as General Electric, Safran and United Engine Corporation have already deployed their operations within the Rybinsk-based cluster.”
According to the opinion shared by the participants of the ensuing discussion, the sales volume of the cluster companies directly depends on the development of regional competences, innovations and engineering infrastructure. At that, the development strategy of the cluster key players implies that the volume of outsourcing and collaboration both in the industrial and research-&-technology fields with the participation of the small-to-medium regional companies will grow on an annual basis.
Dmitriy Ivanov, NPO Saturn innovative development director, board secretary of the territorial innovative cluster “Gas turbine machinery and power engineering” noted: “Major companies, despite the fact that they are competitors, on a regional scale have three common points of interest - development of territorial competences, small-to-medium businesses and the infrastructure in order to ensure their sustainable growth and development in the future.”
According to Yuriy Pautov, NPO Saturn first deputy human resources director, deputy of the Yaroslavl Regional Duma of the 6th convocation: “We want the region, deputies, the regional administration and us to have a common understanding of the future development of the Yaroslavl Region. Thus, we demonstrate what has already been done by NPO Saturn, what infrastructure can be set up around the available assets of the large-scale companies to facilitate their more successful development and, consequently, their utility to the region.”
Head of the committee on economic policy, investments, industry and entrepreneurship of the Yaroslavl Regional Duma of the 6th convocation Alexander Kuchmenko noted: “Today, Saturn serves as the most adapted venue for developing such fields as dual education, collaboration system and a number of other projects. The task set to our committee is to come up with propositions to be addressed at the level of the regional administration and the Yaroslavl Regional Duma to secure support for these initiatives.”
According to Evgeniy Zayashnikov, deputy head of the committee on economic policy, investments, industry and entrepreneurship of the Yaroslavl Regional Duma of the 6th convocation: “Creating a regional territorial cluster is a very positive thing. What’s most important is not to let it stay only as a declaration. Small business as well as the development of outsourcing needs to receive not only verbal but tangible support. And Saturn is the first sign which makes us hopeful that at least the intraregional cooperation will see further development.”
In the course of the visit, the members of the committee on economic policy visited design and production facilities of NPO Saturn and some of the cluster companies, i.e. NIR, Satiz and VolgAero. They learned about the NPO Saturn training center being a part of the ecosystem of creating territorial competences. The deputies also reviewed the status of the outsourcing development, in particular, the role of small companies in the research-&-production activity carried out by Saturn. The discussion was focused on the creation of an industrial park for incorporating the small-to-medium companies and innovative infrastructure objects, a prototyping center and collective use centers, development of links between the research and manufacturing including through the creation of engineering companies.
Based on the results of the field session of the committee on economic policy, investments, industry and entrepreneurship of the Yaroslavl Regional Duma of the 6th convocation the following resolutions have been adopted:
1. To take into consideration the information received from the Yaroslavl regional government and NPO Saturn leadership on the current status and prospects of development of the territorial innovative cluster “Gas turbine machinery and power engineering”.
2. To sustain the initiatives of NPO Saturn relevant to the development of the territorial innovative cluster “Gas turbine machinery and power engineering” for the benefit of the small-to-medium entrepreneurship through creating a non-profit partnership “Gas turbine machinery and power engineering cluster”, an industrial park, a prototyping center and an engineering center.
3. To review conjointly with the Yaroslavl regional government:
1) the question of creating a prototyping center based on the territorial innovative cluster “Gas turbine machinery and power engineering” during the committee session in December 2014;
2) legal aspects of constructing, providing and use of leased housing.
4. To propose to the Yaroslavl regional government:
4.1. To study the feasibility of providing subsidies in 2015:
1) to the small-to-medium entrepreneurs dealing in outsourcing (subcontracting) of business processes working with the companies with government participation in the frame of the implementation of innovative development programs;
2) to recover a part of costs related to training, retraining and qualification upgrade of the employees of the small-to-medium companies dealing in outsourcing (subcontracting) of business processes working with the companies with government participation in the frame of the implementation of innovative development programs.
4.2. To render support to NPO Saturn in terms of:
1) preparation, financing and conducting on the premises of NPO Saturn in March 2015 an international technological forum “Innovations. Technologies. Manufacturing”;
2) filing the necessary paperwork and financing from the regional budget of the creation of a non-profit partnership “Gas turbine machinery and power engineering cluster” (in 2015), a prototyping center (in 2015), and an engineering center (by 1 October 2015);
3) creation of a joint-stock company and an industrial park based thereof (in 2015).
5. To submit these resolutions to the Yaroslavl regional government and to NPO Saturn.
The NPO Saturn Research and Production Association (OJSC) is an engine-building company specialized in the design and development, production and after-market support of gas turbine engines for military and civil aviation, naval ships and power-generating plants and gas-pumping units. The association is part of the All-Russian public organization The Union of Russian mechanical engineers whereby the regional branch is headed by I. N. Fedorov, NPO Saturn CEO.
NPO Saturn is part of United Engine Corporation (OJSC) and acts as the leader of the Civil Engines Division, a business unit of UEC founded on 09.10.2012 as a result of integration of the following companies: NPO Saturn (OJSC), Aviadvigatel (OJSC), PMZ (OJSC), Metallist-PM (CJSC), Energetik-PM (OJSC), REMOS-PM (CJSC), Motoservis-PM (CJSC) and Zheleznodorozhnik-PM (CJSC).
United Engine Corporation (OJSC) is a subsidiary of the OBORONPROM UIC (OJSC). The UEC structure integrates over 85% of Russia’s leading companies specialized in the design and development, serial production and after-market support of gas turbine machinery as well as the key enterprises - the industry’s integral players. One of UEC’s prioritized fields of activity is the implementation of comprehensive programs of development of the companies in the industry by introducing new technologies meeting the world-class standards.
The OBORONPROM United Industrial Corporation (OJSC) is a multi-field machine-building group created in 2002. It is part of Rostec. The main fields of activity are helicopter building (the Russian Helicopters holding), engine building (the UEC holding) and other assets.
The Rostekhnologii State Corporation (Rostec) is a Russian corporation established in 2007 in order to facilitate the development, manufacturing and export of high-technology industrial products of military and civil purposes. Today it comprises over 663 companies, which form 9 military-industrial and 5 civil industry holdings. Rostec’s subsidiaries are located in 60 regions of Russia and supply their products to over 70 countries worldwide. In 2013 revenues of the Corporation amounted to RUB 1.04 trillion, net profits were RUB 40 billion and total taxation exceeded RUB 138 billion.